The mission of the Laura Bush Foundation for America’s Libraries is to help school libraries (a) encourage and foster a love of reading; (b) support student learning; and (c) make books and reading materials available to students who otherwise would not have access to them.
YOUR SCHOOL IS ELIGIBLE TO APPLY IF IT MEETS THE FOLLOWING FIVE CRITERIA:
1. Your school has been in operation for a minimum of one year prior to your application so that you are able to provide accurate information about the percentage of students in your school eligible for the free or reduced lunch program (FRL).
2. Your school has a student body where 85% or more of your students qualify for free or reduced lunches.
3. Your school has a school library that meets the following definition:
A library is a uniquely designated space in which books and other materials are systematically classified and arranged by subject and type. They are stored in a place and manner that allows access to all students and adults in the school.
Please note that the definition does not include classrooms or classroom sets of books, collections of books stored in a room that are not organized and classified in a systematic way, or collections of books on rolling carts of any description.
4. The day-to-day oversight and operation of your school library is carried out by a paid contracted staff member who fits the following definition:The person is designated by the school administration as responsible for the collection, care, and use of the materials housed in the dedicated space of the library.
5. Your school has not previously received a grant from the Laura Bush Foundation for America’s Libraries. Schools that have previously received a grant from the Laura Bush Foundation for America’s Libraries are ineligible to apply.
PLEASE NOTE THAT YOUR APPLICATION WILL NOT BE READ IF IT IS INCOMPLETE. Every question asked must be answered. Where the question appears inapplicable to your particular school, you must write in “zero”, ”not available”, “not applicable”, “none”, “no” or some other word that explains why you are not answering a question.
All required fields are indicated.
- Application submissions are due Monday, December 15, 2014 (8:00 p.m. Central Standard Time).
- Questions regarding the application must be submitted by Friday, November 21, 2014 (8:00 p.m. Central Standard Time).
- Applications must be submitted via the online application form. Applications sent via fax, mail, or e-mail cannot be accepted.
- All application questions must be completed. Incomplete applications cannot be considered.
- To submit the application, make sure to click the ‘Submit the Proposal to LBF’ button. An e-mail will be generated to your e-mail address confirming delivery once the application is submitted.
- We anticipate that recipients will be identified and awards will be made before the middle of May, 2015.
- We recommend that you save your content information into your own Microsoft Word file before submission.
Important: Please read Frequently Asked Questions and the Grading Rubric sections on this website before filling out the application.
The Laura Bush Foundation for America’s Libraries is a fund of the George W. Bush Foundation, a non-profit 501(c)3 tax-exempt organization. For general questions regarding the Foundation or the application, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.